January - April 2019 Events Programme
- We have something for everyone with our January – April 2019 Events
Chatterbooks Book Club for 7-11 year olds
Halton Libraries Chatterbooks meetings will be filled with activities, games and plenty of time to share your love of reading with other children.
Chatterbooks is now running Weekly – Every Monday in Widnes library 4-5pm and Every Thursday in Halton Lea library 4-5pm.
For more information contact Nikki Lamb 0151 511 8323 or email@example.com
- Every Tuesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library and every Monday at Ditton and Runcorn Library. All sessions are 3.45-5pm. Drop in session, booking not required. Suitable for ages 7 – 12 years. Beginner coding using Scratch, Micro:bits, Code Bugs and more.
- Every Wednesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library 3.30-4.30pm.
- Thursday at Runcorn Library and Ditton Library 2.00-3.00pm.
- Wednesday at Widnes Library 10.30am – 12.00pm
- Friday at Halton Lea Library 10.30am – 12.00pm
- Drop in for help with using the Internet, emails, your digital device and more
- Tuesday at Ditton Libray 3.30-5.00pm
- Thursday at Runcorn Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Drop-in, no need to book. Suitable for ages 5-12
- Monday at Halton Lea Library 3.30 – 5.00pm
- Tuesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library 5.00 – 7.00pm
- Thursday at Widnes Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Children get creative with Lego!
Midweek Meet up
- Wednesday at Widnes Library and Halton Lea Library 2.00-4.00pm
- Unwind with some colouring in, have a go at a board game and meet new people in a relaxed and friendly environment. The perfect antidote to a busy lifestyle.
Keep up to date with all the news and events from Halton Libraries with our monthly newsletter
Read and Relax
Thursdays 12.00-1.00pm at Halton Lea Library
Tuesdays 10.30-11.30am at Widnes Library
In partnership with The Reader, we are holding free, weekly Read and Relax groups at Halton Lea and Widnes libraries for adults. Come along to one of our friendly, welcoming sessions to read aloud a book, short story or poem. Group members can choose to read aloud, share personal reflections or simply listen – in this way people can form real connections with the stories and with each other.
A reading group is a group of people who meet together to talk about a book they have read. They read one book a month and discuss it at the following meeting. Each meeting lasts for an hour.
Halton Lea Library
- Thursday Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at 5.45pm
- Saturday meets on the last Saturday of every month at 10.30am
- Adventures in Reading meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 5.45 pm
- Tuesday 1 meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Tuesday 2 meets on the last Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- The Classics group meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Runcorn’s reading group meets on the last Monday of the month 10.30am – 11.30am
We also provide collections of books for reading groups to borrow. These include fiction, classic fiction and non- fiction books. A list of the books available is in the recommended reads section of the booklist.
If you would like to join one of our groups or borrow a collection, please contact Trudy Jones or Caroline Unsworth at Halton Lea Library
Are you aged between 13-19? Do you enjoy reading, discussing books and sharing ideas?
Then why not come along to one of our groups
- Widnes Library every Tuesday 5-6pm
- Halton Lea Library every Thursday 5-6pm
Our groups are suitable for the volunteering element of the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
For more information contact Nikki Lamb 0151 511 8323 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday at Runcorn Library and Ditton Library 11.00-11.45am
- Thursday at Halton Lea Library 11.00-11.45am
- Friday at Widnes Library 11.00-11.45am
- Songs and stories for preschool children.
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 12-2pm
- Board games, colouring, doodling and lots of fun, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
- Recommended age 8+. Suitable for children and families.
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 11-11.45am
- Bring your little ones along to our new Saturday Stories sessions, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
We’ve teamed up with Sci-Tech Daresbury to host one of their fascinating, family-friendly Talking Science events in January 2019.
Talking Science at Daresbury Laboratory – On You, Inside You: The Amazing and Horrible World of Parasites
A talk by Professor Cruikshank, University of Manchester
Wednesday 30th January – 7pm, Halton Stadium
Free of charge, booking opens on the 26th December here
Suitable for audience 6+
Halton Libraries are proud to host, in partnersip with Daresbury Laboratory, a Talking Science event at Halton Stadium. This is guaranteed to be a fascinating talk by a leading scientist on the subject of parasites.
Parasites are the most common form of cellular life on our planet and can be defined as organisms that live in or on us, taking from us without giving anything back. Everything from mammals, insects to plants can be infected by parasites- so parasites are incredibly successful. They can hide from our body’s defences and may even change the behaviour of some of the animals they infect. They are also important as not only can they cause terrible diseases but they can be critical elements of food webs and contribute to biodiversity. Find out how parasites are so successful and how new scientific methods, that help us visualise
parasites, are helping us unlock even more of their secrets.
There’s full programme of talks delivered by international scientists suitable for all the family, running from October 2018 until June 2019. Topics include astronomy, the science of the circus, deep ocean lab and materials through the eyes of electrons.
Take a look at the full programme here for dates and times: https://stfc.ukri.org/public-engagement/activities-for-the-public/visit-daresbury-laboratory/talking-science-at-daresbury-laboratory/
Time to Read events
Looking for other book related events in north west libraries? Check out Time to Read
- Every Monday at Halton Lea Library 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Every Monday at Widnes Library 1.00-3.00pm
- Every Tuesday at Runcorn Library 1.00-3.00pm
- Drop in sessions to help you improve your CV, job search and apply for employment
Saturday 23rd March, 12-1pm at Widnes Library and Halton Lea Library Join us to celebrate the life of the bard and get crafty, creating a hand puppet.read more
Wednesday 3rd April, 10.30-12.00pm, Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library Suitable for ages 5 - 14 years. Free drop in. We are getting all artistic at Halton Libraries! Join us in getting creative with digital and have a go at graffiti with graphics. For the more...read more
Love to read? Take part in the North West Libraries Book Bingo competition for the chance to win cash prizes! - First prize of £200 and 3 runner up prizes of £100 each. Pick up your Bingo card in any Halton Library and read 5 books from the categories.read more
Easter Lego Club Monday 1st April & Monday 8th April, 10.30-12pm, Halton Lea Library Thursday 4th April & Thursday 11th April, 10.30-12pm, Widnes Library Half-term Code Club Tuesday 2nd April & Tuesday 9th April, 10.30-12pm, Halton Lea Library and...read more
Wednesday 20th March, 6.00-7.30pm at Halton Lea Library Tickets £4 / £3 for library members. Book online via Eventbrite or at your local library. Join us for an evening of conversation with three top selling female authors - S.E. Lynes, Naomi Kruger and Martine...read more
Tuesday 19th March, 4-5.30pm, Ditton Library Thursday 21st March, 4.30-6pm, Widnes Library Tuesday 26th March, 4-5.30pm, Runcorn Library Thursday 28th March, 4.30-6pm, Halton Lea Library Supersonic Sounds in the library! Halton Libraries, in collaboration with local...read more
From 8th January 2019, we will no longer be charging fines on overdue items.read more
Our first annual North West Learn Fest is almost at an end with only a couple of events left to go . We have enjoyed showing you the wonders of augmented reality and engaging children in learning to code and discovering how basic circuitry works. The amazing thing...read more
It's our final Summer Reading Challenge event for 2018 and we are finishing off with our fantastic Reading Riot. Join us on Wednesday 22nd August at Halton Lea and Thursday 23rd August at Widnes Library 10.30-12pm. There will be a party atmosphere with some...read more
We hope you are enjoying the summer as much as we are. It's been great seeing so many of you at the events and there is more fun to be had. On Monday 13th August we have a journey to adventure with Chester Zoo Leap for Lemur workshops from 11-12 at Halton Lea...read more