Library Events Jan-April 2021
Decorate Halton – Let’s Make Festival
Halton is the Liverpool City Region’s Borough of Culture 2021 and Halton Libraries are very excited to be joining in the celebrations! Throughout the year we will bring you three fabulous festivals celebrating culture and creativity across the borough and to celebrate all that makes Halton unique and special.
Our first library festival is Let’s Make!
Throughout January and into February, we will be decorating Halton with brightly coloured origami cranes. A symbol of hope and good fortune, what better way to start 2021. Japanese legend states that any individual who can create 1000 paper cranes will be granted a wish – how many can Halton residents make?!
You can get involved by collecting your origami art pack from Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries through our Choose & Collect service from Monday 18th January to Friday 12th February – they contain full instructions on how to create your origami crane and origami paper so you can get started at home. You can also view the Decorate Halton instructions online. Full instructional videos will also be available on Halton libraries social media channels. Display your cranes in your windows at home to share the wishes of hope and good fortune.
Share your cranes by tagging @HaltonLibraries and #DecorateHalton
Chatterbooks Book Club for 7-11 year olds
Halton Libraries Chatterbooks meetings will be filled with activities, games and plenty of time to share your love of reading with other children.
Chatterbooks is now running Weekly – Every Monday in Widnes library 4-5pm and Every Thursday in Halton Lea library 4-5pm.
For more information contact Nikki Lamb 0151 511 8323 or email@example.com
- Currently suspended due to Covid-19
- Code Club runs every school holidays in each of our libraries. Watch this space for more details.
Drop in for help with using the Internet, emails, your digital device and more. Available in all libraries throughout each day. No appointment necessary.
- Currently suspended.
- Tuesday at Ditton Libray 3.30-5.00pm
- Thursday at Runcorn Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Drop-in, no need to book. Suitable for ages 5-12
- Currently suspended
- Monday at Halton Lea Library 3.30 – 5.00pm
- Tuesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library 5.00 – 7.00pm
- Thursday at Widnes Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Children get creative with Lego!
Midweek Meet up
- Currently suspended
- Wednesday at Widnes Library and Halton Lea Library 2.00-4.00pm
- Unwind with some colouring in, have a go at a board game and meet new people in a relaxed and friendly environment. The perfect antidote to a busy lifestyle.
Keep up to date with all the news and events from Halton Libraries with our monthly newsletter
Reading Friends chat, share stories and have fun.
Halton Libraries run two weekly Reading Friends groups. It’s a chance to talk about what you are reading, whether that be books, magazines, newspapers or anything else and to meet new people.
Tuesdays at 2pm a virtual group open to everyone.
Wednesday at 10.30am held over the phone for people over 60
For information or to book contact Halton Lea Library 0151 511 7744 or firstname.lastname@example.org
A reading group is a group of people who meet together to talk about a book they have read. They read one book a month and discuss it at the following meeting. Each meeting lasts for an hour.
Halton Lea Library
- Thursday Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at 5.45pm
- Saturday meets on the last Saturday of every month at 10.30am
- Adventures in Reading meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 5.45 pm
- Tuesday 1 meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Tuesday 2 meets on the last Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- The Classics group meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Runcorn’s reading group meets on the last Monday of the month 10.30am – 11.30am
We also provide collections of books for reading groups to borrow. These include fiction, classic fiction and non- fiction books. A list of the books available is in the recommended reads section of the booklist.
If you would like to join one of our groups or borrow a collection, please contact Trudy Jones at Halton Lea Library
- All Rhyme Times are temporarily postponed due to the current situation with Covid 19
- Tuesday at Runcorn Library and Ditton Library 11.00-11.45am
- Thursday at Halton Lea Library 11.00-11.45am
- Friday at Widnes Library 11.00-11.45am
- Songs and stories for preschool children.
- All Saturday Meetups currently postponed due to the current situation with Covid 19
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 12-2pm
- Board games, colouring, doodling and lots of fun, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
- Recommended age 8+. Suitable for children and families.
- All Saturday Stories currently postponed due to the current situation with Covid 19
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 11-11.45am
- Bring your little ones along to our new Saturday Stories sessions, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
- All Science Clubs currently postponed due to the current situation with Covid 19
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 12.30-1.30pm
- New activities each week
- Drop in sessions suitable for children aged 5 – 12 years.
Time to Read events
Looking for other book related events in north west libraries? Check out Time to Read
- All work club currently postponed due to the current situation with Covid 19
- Every Monday at Halton Lea Library 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Every Monday at Widnes Library 1.00-3.00pm
- Every Friday at Halton Lea 10.30-12pm
- Drop in sessions to help you improve your CV, job search and apply for employment
Singer / Songwriter Katy J Pearson Brings The Wild Wild West To Widnes Widnes Library, Sunday 6th June – 2.30pm Tickets: £8 each Book at getitloudinlibraries.com It’s perfect for families, it will be socially distanced and in accordance with the latest safety...
8 local people told their stories to show us how society has changed. Watch and listen to their stories.
New Words Festival: J.A. Mensah, author of Castles from Cobwebs Friday 26th March 2021 at 6:30pm Time to Read and Halton Libraries are thrilled to host: J.A. Mensah, author of Castles from Cobwebs. J.A. Mensah joins Halton Libraries for a discussion about her debut...
Reading Friends chat, share stories and have fun. Halton Libraries run two weekly Reading Friends groups. It's a chance to talk about what you are reading, whether that be books, magazines, newspapers or anything else and to meet new people. Tuesdays at 2pm a virtual...
Are you a budding poet? We are launching a Poetry Competition in March. The theme is the Power of Books There are 3 categories: • 6-11 years • 12-16 years • 17+ You can enter between 1st and 12th April Please email HLELIB@halton.gov.uk with your entry.
In line with the latest government restrictions all Halton libraries are currently closed for the duration of the lockdown. Please remember during the closure period we are continuing to; Offering a Choose and Collect service at Widnes Library and Halton Lea Library...
Our new Events Guide Oct - Dec 2020 is here! We have some great things happening soon so take a look.
As with all libraries in the UK, the threat of coronavirus prompted the unprecedented closure of our libraries. Now that government guidance allows, our libraries in Halton are reopening their doors again. Following on from an update to the official guidance on face...
1. Let us know what type of books you enjoy. 2. We choose up to 10 fantastic books for you. 3. You come and collect from your chosen library contact free Monday - Friday 10-4pm To place your order either call: 0151 511 7744 for Halton Lea or 0151 907 8383 for Widnes...
Book Drop Our libraries are beginning to reopen but you can still return your books using our book drop service. Book Drop trolleys will be at the entrance of the library. No need to interact with anybody or enter the building Every Monday and Friday 11 - 1pm at...