January - April 2019 Events Programme
- We have something for everyone with our January – April 2019 Events
Chatterbooks Book Club for 7-11 year olds
Halton Libraries Chatterbooks meetings will be filled with activities, games and plenty of time to share your love of reading with other children.
Chatterbooks is now running Weekly – Every Monday in Widnes library 4-5pm and Every Thursday in Halton Lea library 4-5pm.
For more information contact Nikki Lamb 0151 511 8323 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Every Tuesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library and every Monday at Ditton and Runcorn Library. All sessions are 3.45-5pm. Drop in session, booking not required. Suitable for ages 7 – 12 years. Beginner coding using Scratch, Micro:bits, Code Bugs and more.
- Every Wednesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library 3.30-4.30pm.
- Thursday at Runcorn Library and Ditton Library 2.00-3.00pm.
- Wednesday at Widnes Library 10.30am – 12.00pm
- Friday at Halton Lea Library 10.30am – 12.00pm
- Drop in for help with using the Internet, emails, your digital device and more
- Tuesday at Ditton Libray 3.30-5.00pm
- Thursday at Runcorn Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Drop-in, no need to book. Suitable for ages 5-12
- Monday at Halton Lea Library 3.30 – 5.00pm
- Tuesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library 5.00 – 7.00pm
- Thursday at Widnes Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Children get creative with Lego!
Midweek Meet up
- Wednesday at Widnes Library and Halton Lea Library 2.00-4.00pm
- Unwind with some colouring in, have a go at a board game and meet new people in a relaxed and friendly environment. The perfect antidote to a busy lifestyle.
Keep up to date with all the news and events from Halton Libraries with our monthly newsletter
Read and Relax
Thursdays 12.00-1.00pm at Halton Lea Library
Tuesdays 10.30-11.30am at Widnes Library
In partnership with The Reader, we are holding free, weekly Read and Relax groups at Halton Lea and Widnes libraries for adults. Come along to one of our friendly, welcoming sessions to read aloud a book, short story or poem. Group members can choose to read aloud, share personal reflections or simply listen – in this way people can form real connections with the stories and with each other.
A reading group is a group of people who meet together to talk about a book they have read. They read one book a month and discuss it at the following meeting. Each meeting lasts for an hour.
Halton Lea Library
- Thursday Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at 5.45pm
- Saturday meets on the last Saturday of every month at 10.30am
- Adventures in Reading meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 5.45 pm
- Tuesday 1 meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Tuesday 2 meets on the last Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- The Classics group meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Runcorn’s reading group meets on the last Monday of the month 10.30am – 11.30am
We also provide collections of books for reading groups to borrow. These include fiction, classic fiction and non- fiction books. A list of the books available is in the recommended reads section of the booklist.
If you would like to join one of our groups or borrow a collection, please contact Trudy Jones or Caroline Unsworth at Halton Lea Library
Are you aged between 13-19? Do you enjoy reading, discussing books and sharing ideas?
Then why not come along to one of our groups
- Widnes Library every Tuesday 5-6pm
- Halton Lea Library every Thursday 5-6pm
Our groups are suitable for the volunteering element of the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
For more information contact Nikki Lamb 0151 511 8323 or email@example.com
- Tuesday at Runcorn Library and Ditton Library 11.00-11.45am
- Thursday at Halton Lea Library 11.00-11.45am
- Friday at Widnes Library 11.00-11.45am
- Songs and stories for preschool children.
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 12-2pm
- Board games, colouring, doodling and lots of fun, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
- Recommended age 8+. Suitable for children and families.
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 11-11.45am
- Bring your little ones along to our new Saturday Stories sessions, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
We’ve teamed up with Sci-Tech Daresbury to host one of their fascinating, family-friendly Talking Science events in January 2019.
Talking Science at Daresbury Laboratory – On You, Inside You: The Amazing and Horrible World of Parasites
A talk by Professor Cruikshank, University of Manchester
Wednesday 30th January – 7pm, Halton Stadium
Free of charge, booking opens on the 26th December here
Suitable for audience 6+
Halton Libraries are proud to host, in partnersip with Daresbury Laboratory, a Talking Science event at Halton Stadium. This is guaranteed to be a fascinating talk by a leading scientist on the subject of parasites.
Parasites are the most common form of cellular life on our planet and can be defined as organisms that live in or on us, taking from us without giving anything back. Everything from mammals, insects to plants can be infected by parasites- so parasites are incredibly successful. They can hide from our body’s defences and may even change the behaviour of some of the animals they infect. They are also important as not only can they cause terrible diseases but they can be critical elements of food webs and contribute to biodiversity. Find out how parasites are so successful and how new scientific methods, that help us visualise
parasites, are helping us unlock even more of their secrets.
There’s full programme of talks delivered by international scientists suitable for all the family, running from October 2018 until June 2019. Topics include astronomy, the science of the circus, deep ocean lab and materials through the eyes of electrons.
Take a look at the full programme here for dates and times: https://stfc.ukri.org/public-engagement/activities-for-the-public/visit-daresbury-laboratory/talking-science-at-daresbury-laboratory/
Time to Read events
Looking for other book related events in north west libraries? Check out Time to Read
- Every Monday at Halton Lea Library 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Every Monday at Widnes Library 1.00-3.00pm
- Every Tuesday at Runcorn Library 1.00-3.00pm
- Drop in sessions to help you improve your CV, job search and apply for employment
Lego Art: May the Fourth Be With You! Saturday 4th May, 10.30-12.30pm, Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries Free, drop-in. Create some Star Wars inspired masterpieces! Using Lego bricks as your stamp, colour in new designs for the Millennium Falcon and other Star Wars...read more
Tuesday 7th May, 10.30-12.30pm, Widnes Library Free, drop-in. The Stroke Association will be at Widnes Library to test your blood pressure as part of Stroke Awareness Month. This is an annual event to raise awareness of strokes and their impact on sufferers and...read more
Wednesday 8th May, 6-7.30pm, Halton Lea Library Join us to hear Runcorn author Liz Howard talk about her incredible experience of hypnotic regression, how it allowed her to travel through time and unearth memories of a previous lifetime that she lived in Tudor England...read more
Saturday 11th May, 11-12.30pm, Halton Lea Library Free, drop-in. Get crafty with us and join in with our interactive art workshop hosted by local arts organisation, City Arts Hub. Discover your inner Picasso! Suitable for children and families.read more
Saturday 11th May, 11-12.30pm, Widnes Library Free, drop in Join Halton Libraries in building a rocket to the moon or try out something of your own design with our crazy, crafty and creative Cardboard Capers! Suitable for children and families.read more
Wednesday 15th May, 2-4pm Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries Our friendly and welcoming Midweek meetup groups are the perfect opportunity to sit back, relax and have a natter. Meet new friends whilst playing board games, colouring in or having a go at paper crafts. The...read more
Wednesday 22nd May 10.30-1pm, Halton Lea Library Free, drop in. Bring along your LPs and join in with our morning where we will sit and relax, with a cup of tea, whilst reminiscing about Elvis Presley, Andy Williams, Roy Orbison and all the greats from times gone...read more
Thursday 23rd May 6-7.30pm, Halton Lea Library Free, book online or at your local library As part of our Dementia Awareness week, Runcorn History Society will take us on a journey of reminiscence about Runcorn in the good old days as they talk about the leisure and...read more
Love to read? Take part in the North West Libraries Book Bingo competition for the chance to win cash prizes! - First prize of £200 and 3 runner up prizes of £100 each. Pick up your Bingo card in any Halton Library and read 5 books from the categories.read more
From 8th January 2019, we will no longer be charging fines on overdue items.read more