Sept - Dec 2018
- We have something for everyone with our Sept – Dec Events
Chatterbooks Book Club for 7-11 year olds
Halton Libraries Chatterbooks meetings will be filled with activities, games and plenty of time to share your love of reading with other children.
Chatterbooks is now running Weekly – Every Monday in Widnes library 4-5pm and Every Thursday in Halton Lea library 4-5pm.
For more information contact Nikki Lamb 0151 511 8323 or email@example.com
- Every Tuesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library and every Monday at Ditton and Runcorn Library. All sessions are 3.45-5pm. Drop in session, booking not required. Suitable for ages 7 – 12 years. Beginner coding using Scratch, Micro:bits, Code Bugs and more.
- Every Wednesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library 3.30-4.30pm.
- Tuesday at Runcorn Library and Ditton Library 2.00-3.00pm.
- Wednesday at Widnes Library 10.30am – 12.00pm
- Friday at Halton Lea Library 10.30am – 12.00pm
- Drop in for help with using the Internet, emails, your digital device and more
- Tuesday at Ditton Libray 3.30-5.00pm
- Thursday at Runcorn Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Drop-in, no need to book. Suitable for ages 5-12
- Monday at Halton Lea Library 3.30 – 5.00pm
- Tuesday at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library 5.00 – 7.00pm
- Thursday at Widnes Library 3.30-5.00pm
- Children get creative with Lego!
Midweek Meet up
- Wednesday at Widnes Library and Halton Lea Library 2.00-4.00pm
- Unwind with some colouring in, have a go at a board game and meet new people in a relaxed and friendly environment. The perfect antidote to a busy lifestyle.
Keep up to date with all the news and events from Halton Libraries with our monthly newsletter
Read and Relax
Thursdays 12.00-1.00pm at Halton Lea Library
Tuesdays 10.30-11.30am at Widnes Library
In partnership with The Reader, we are holding free, weekly Read and Relax groups at Halton Lea and Widnes libraries for adults. Come along to one of our friendly, welcoming sessions to read aloud a book, short story or poem. Group members can choose to read aloud, share personal reflections or simply listen – in this way people can form real connections with the stories and with each other.
A reading group is a group of people who meet together to talk about a book they have read. They read one book a month and discuss it at the following meeting. Each meeting lasts for an hour.
Halton Lea Library
- Thursday Group meets on the first Thursday of every month at 5.45pm
- Saturday meets on the last Saturday of every month at 10.30am
- Adventures in Reading meets on the 2nd Thursday of the month at 5.45 pm
- Tuesday 1 meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Tuesday 2 meets on the last Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- The Classics group meets on the 3rd Tuesday of every month at 5.45pm
- Runcorn’s reading group meets on the last Monday of the month 10.30am – 11.30am
We also provide collections of books for reading groups to borrow. These include fiction, classic fiction and non- fiction books. A list of the books available is in the recommended reads section of the booklist.
If you would like to join one of our groups or borrow a collection, please contact Trudy Jones or Caroline Unsworth at Halton Lea Library
Are you aged between 13-19? Do you enjoy reading, discussing books and sharing ideas?
Then why not come along to one of our groups
- Widnes Library every Tuesday 5-6pm
- Halton Lea Library every Thursday 5-6pm
Our groups are suitable for the volunteering element of the Duke of Edinburgh Award.
For more information contact Nikki Lamb 0151 511 8323 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tuesday at Runcorn Library and Ditton Library 11.00-11.45am
- Thursday at Halton Lea Library 11.00-11.45am
- Friday at Widnes Library 11.00-11.45am
- Songs and stories for preschool children.
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 12-2pm
- Board games, colouring, doodling and lots of fun, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
- Recommended age 8+. Suitable for children and families.
- Saturdays at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries, 11-11.45am
- Bring your little ones along to our new Saturday Stories sessions, every Saturday at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries.
We’ve teamed up with Sci-Tech Daresbury to host one of their fascinating, family-friendly Talking Science events in January 2019.
Talking Science at Daresbury Laboratory – On You, Inside You: The Amazing and Horrible World of Parasites
A talk by Professor Cruikshank, University of Manchester
Wednesday 30th January – 7pm, Halton Stadium
Free of charge, booking opens on the 26th December here
Suitable for audience 6+
Halton Libraries are proud to host, in partnersip with Daresbury Laboratory, a Talking Science event at Halton Stadium. This is guaranteed to be a fascinating talk by a leading scientist on the subject of parasites.
Parasites are the most common form of cellular life on our planet and can be defined as organisms that live in or on us, taking from us without giving anything back. Everything from mammals, insects to plants can be infected by parasites- so parasites are incredibly successful. They can hide from our body’s defences and may even change the behaviour of some of the animals they infect. They are also important as not only can they cause terrible diseases but they can be critical elements of food webs and contribute to biodiversity. Find out how parasites are so successful and how new scientific methods, that help us visualise
parasites, are helping us unlock even more of their secrets.
There’s full programme of talks delivered by international scientists suitable for all the family, running from October 2018 until June 2019. Topics include astronomy, the science of the circus, deep ocean lab and materials through the eyes of electrons.
Take a look at the full programme here for dates and times: https://stfc.ukri.org/public-engagement/activities-for-the-public/visit-daresbury-laboratory/talking-science-at-daresbury-laboratory/
Time to Read events
Looking for other book related events in north west libraries? Check out Time to Read
- Every Monday at Halton Lea Library 10.00am – 4.00pm
- Every Monday at Widnes Library 1.00-3.00pm
- Every Tuesday at Runcorn Library 1.00-3.00pm
- Drop in sessions to help you improve your CV, job search and apply for employment
Monday 3rd December 3.45-5pm at Runcorn and Ditton libraries Tuesday 4th December 3.45-5pm at Halton Lea and Widnes Libraries Learn some new computer science skills at Halton Libraries and discover how to create a game of 'Frustration' using Micro:bits and coding. ...read more
Tuesday 11th December 10.30-12.30pm at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library Pop into the library, pull up a chair and have a natter over a cup of tea and a mince pie. Our friendly library staff will be serving up festive sweet treats, lots of conversation and there...read more
Saturday 15th December 11.00-11.45am at Halton Lea Library and Widnes Library Our final Saturday Stories session of the year - come along in your Christmas jumpers for festive stories and songs. Free, drop in session.read more
Our first annual North West Learn Fest is almost at an end with only a couple of events left to go . We have enjoyed showing you the wonders of augmented reality and engaging children in learning to code and discovering how basic circuitry works. The amazing thing...read more
Sharon Bolton will be visiting: Wednesday 21 November: 1pm to 2pm Oldham Library, 3.30pm Ramsbottom Library, 7pm Darwen Library Thursday 22 November: 1 to 2, Bebington Library. In conversation with Margaret Murphy, 7 to 8, Evening, Warrington Central Library. In...read more
It's our final Summer Reading Challenge event for 2018 and we are finishing off with our fantastic Reading Riot. Join us on Wednesday 22nd August at Halton Lea and Thursday 23rd August at Widnes Library 10.30-12pm. There will be a party atmosphere with some great...read more
We hope you are enjoying the summer as much as we are. It's been great seeing so many of you at the events and there is more fun to be had. On Monday 13th August we have a journey to adventure with Chester Zoo Leap for Lemur workshops from 11-12 at Halton Lea...read more
Have your children said those words yet..."I'm bored!" Well pop along to Halton Libraries for some fantastic free events. Why not have a go at den building on Wednesday 8th August at Halton Lea and Thursday 9th August in Widnes Library. Both events are 10.30-12pm...read more
It's started!!! Yes the annual Summer Reading Challenge is here and we have got some fantastic events coming up. We are kicking off with our Bonkers Beano Bonanza on Wednesday 1st August 10.30-12.00 at Halton Lea Library and Thursday 2nd August 10.30-12.00 at Widnes...read more
We are super excited and counting down the days to our annual free Summer Reading Challenge. It all begins from Saturday 14th July when children can begin signing up to pledge to read 6 books during the summer holidays. This year’s challenge is all about The Beano so...read more